This website uses non-intrusive cookies to improve your user experience. You can visit our cookie privacy page for more information.

Incident reporting

This section lists HSE's approved forms to be used when reporting work related accidents, diseases, dangerous occurrences, and gas incidents. There are also separate forms for use by the railways and offshore industries.

These forms may be submitted to the HSE by email. Please follow the instructions on the "Next action" page.

We are continually working to improve this service including features that allow you to download, complete offline and save electronically, etc.

Further information

Form OIR12 should be used to report supplementary information on offshore hydrocarbon release incidents which have been initially reported on Form OIR9B under RIDDOR 95, dangerous occurrences 13, 14, 73 or 74 (see Operations Notice, ON 30 issued May 2002 for RIDDOR reporting arrangements).

An OIR9B form must also be completed for an OIR12 form to be valid. Detailed guidance on reporting of offshore hydrocarbon releases is contained in Offshore Technology Report - OTO 96 956

The OIR12 form should be completed as soon as possible, but in any case within 4 weeks following the date of incident.

You can report incidents in a number of ways: How to report an incident. Remember to look at the forms first as there are different reporting arrangements in place for mining industries and also for OIR12 reports.

Further information on RIDDOR.

Updated 18.08.15